Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Benadryl drip?

Being back from vacation is good in some ways. I like sleeping in my own bed and being king of my meager castle.

What I don't like is the adjustment period that little boys go through each time we come back from 2 weeks of them being the center of the universe to four grandparents.

What I'm particularly unhappy about is the sleeping. Every trip throws a seismic curve into our sleep routine for some reason. Currently, I think Jakey may literally be trying to see what it takes for Sarah and I to take the fire department up on the "drop them off, no questions asked" policy. Two nights ago it was simply refusing to shut his eyes between 3 and 7 am and this morning it was being screamingly wide awake at 4:45.

I mean, I know in the grand scheme of things my exhaustion is not as important as, say, Darfur, but I don't deal much in the grand scheme these days and I need my damn rest. This body was not built simply by years of neglect and overindulgence - it is also the product of a solid 8 or 9 hours a night.

So, now I'm headed out to CVS to see if they sell any kind of IV system so we can all take a 3 day nap. I like my chances.

1 comment:

Gordon said...

DUUUUUDE. Jonah is the best sleeper in the world. 7pm-7am, every night, and nary a peep.

Until five days at a cottage in Michigan destroyed our perfect sleeper for literally a month. It was a nightmare.

So we're done with vacations. Me and the wife can take some trips, but the kids can't come.