Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The RFD hands me my ass

You ever feel stupidly self-confident about something? I mean, you ever convince yourself that you are still good at something you might have been good at a long time ago? Or foolishly believe that sheer willpower will carry you through a situation you maybe shouldn't be in in the first place?

Maybe you have experienced this a time or two, maybe you haven't; it happens to me almost daily. Which brings me to last night.

My friend Hewitt asked me if I would be interested in playing on his firehouse's hockey team. Since clearly my answer should be no I immediately said yes. I figured "hey, I was a passable intramural hockey player 13 years ago in college and haven't skated since, so why shouldn't I be able to competently compete with firefighters who play all the time? That won't be dangerous for me or annoying as hell to them at all."

Turns out, it was both of those things. I know, crazy, right? I looked like a guy from the Make A Wish foundation whose last wish was to be on ice skates for the first time in his life. I mean, I was that bad. I was so bad that the firefighters (who practically make a career out of breaking each other's balls) wouldn't even make fun of me. They kind of just tolerated me in stone silence.

I'll spare the gory details, but I am in major pain today - the worst of which is either my swollen hip or my bruised ego. I haven't sucked so bad at something in a long time (probably since the band, ha ha).

Oh well, on the bright side here's Jakey kind of failing at something too, although in a much cuter way.

No comments: